As a Principal Electrical Design Engineer for the organization, you will lead, and contribute directly to, the design of custom electronics and electronics-based products developed by Enercon and its customers.
In the role of Principal Electrical Design Engineer:
- You will design and develop electronics-based products ranging from simple hardware-only solutions to highly complex embedded processing systems.
- You will be the primary design contributor for both schematic design and PCB layout activities.
- You will serve as technical lead on complex electronics-based product development projects - identifying required development activities and directing other team members in completing those activities.
- You will, as technical lead, work with Program Managers to quote development work and plan/maintain the project schedule for development programs.
- You will collaborate with project team members to identify product requirements and develop corresponding design strategies or architecture using the best approach based on performance, cost, and resources.
- You will develop detailed product and/or electronics specifications based on requirements and design schematics and PCBA layouts accordingly.
- You will lead the bring-up and debugging of new electronics hardware and systems.
- You will establish design verification testing tools and methods and execute design verification activities
- You will establish production test requirements to ensure that product is manufactured correctly
- You will document ideas, designs, specifications, and instructions to Enercon's standards.
- You will operate in the role of subject matter expert with respect to electronics and electronics-based product design
- You will collaborate with the management to develop and improve department processes and tools, particularly those related to electronics and electronics-based product development.
- You will mentor other members of the engineering staff to promote design team abilities and establish good working practices.
The skills you need to succeed:
- You must demonstrate experience and expertise in the design and development of custom electronics and electronics-based systems or products.
- You must have communication and technical leadership skills needed to interface with the customer and direct a technical team through a development project.
- You must have strong electronic design abilities using advanced analog and digital components to create original designs based on product specifications.
- You must demonstrate the ability to work on all aspects of electronics design including circuit design, component selection, schematic capture, and high-speed PCBA layout.
- You must have familiarity with electronics manufacture, assembly, and test including rigid and flex PCB technologies, SMT and thru-hole assembly, and DFM/DFT considerations.
- You must have the ability to program C/C++ for microcontrollers and/or smaller embedded processors as needed.
- You must have a demonstrated knowledge of regulatory requirements that may affect the design such as ISO, UL, and IEC.
- You must be able to identify and execute design tasks as well as provide technical direction to others with a minimum of supervision
- You must possess good interpersonal skills and have the ability to work between multiple departments in carrying out this position's duties.
Education and experience of a successful candidate:
- A 4-year degree or equivalent experience in Electrical Engineering or a related engineering discipline.
- A minimum of 10 years of electronics design and development or equivalent experience. 15+ years preferred.