An exciting opportunity has become available at Incommunities for a Director of Governance and Assurance. This role sits within our newly created directorate reporting to the recently appointed Executive Director of Finance. The purpose of this role is to ensure the provision of high quality governance, legal, risk and assurance services to the business which enable it to meet the requirements for statutory and regulatory compliance.
As Director of Governance and Assurance, you will be an inspiring leader, playing a pivotal role in continuously improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the team. You will deliver excellent customer service, working cooperatively with the Executive Director of Finance and the wider business.
Our vision is Improving Lives Incommunities. We are committed to providing opportunities for people to fulfil their potential and making our communities great places to live. We provide housing across Yorkshire with nearly 22,000 homes and almost 1,000 leasehold properties.
Our values are at the heart of everything we do, inspiring our thinking and guiding our plans and actions. This year will see us focus on the first year of a new 2 -year plan taking us to 2024. Our plan puts customers at the heart of what we do- providing great places to live and work with homes that they are proud to live in. This position will be central to developing strategy and enabling change across the Finance, Governance and Performance directorate and wider organisation.
- Being an inspiring and focused leader
- Creating a positive culture where teams live and breathe our values, have real clarity of expectation, put customers at the heart, and feel empowered to deliver great service
- Continuously improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the team in delivering excellent customer service
- Overseeing the provision of a wide range of legal advice and provide strategic governance advice and support to the Board, Committees, Executive Management Team, Directors and colleagues
- Taking strategic responsibility for improving and leading on risk and assurance
- Being responsible for the overall provision of legal, governance, risk and assurance (internal audit, data protection and insurance) matters internally and externally
- Developing and sustaining excellent relationships with internal and external stakeholders including the Regulator of Social Housing
- Lead the Governance, Risk and Assurance, Data Protection, Litigation and Property Conveyancing teams
We are looking for a leader with excellent experience in governance, risk and assurance who thinks conceptually and can demonstrate creativity and innovation. Other experience we are looking for includes:
- Detailed knowledge or capacity to rapidly build an understanding of the sector, regulatory landscape and political arena in which Incommunities operates
- Thorough understanding of the areas for which the role is responsible, i.e. governance, risk, internal audit, assurance and legal compliance
- Experience of dealing with an IDA
- Experience of working as part of a Senior Leadership Team, operating at a senior level including relevant line management experience
- The ability to help others to overcome obstacles and barriers through effective negotiation
- Have excellent leadership skills with the ability to positively influence others to meet the objectives and goals of the service
- Have good time management and organisation skills to juggle a busy workload, efficiently prioritise tasks and deliver quality outputs and outcomes
- Make prompt, clear decisions which may involve tough choices or considered risks
- Take responsibility for actions, projects and people
- Have a high level of interpersonal and communication skills, which are adaptable to different people and situations
- Possess strong commercial awareness, communication, influencing and negotiation skills.
- Are committed to a collaborative approach - seeking out win/win solutions
- Can embrace and live Incommunities' values
- Instil confidence and are approachable
- Professional qualification e.g. ICSA, another relevant qualification e.g. qualified solicitor or substantial experience in governance, risk and / or assurance
- Salary : £90,000 per year
- Training, development, and qualification opportunities
- Corporate health scheme membership
- Access to an Employee Assistance Programme
- West Yorkshire Pension Fund membership
- Excellent holiday allowance
- Cycle to work scheme
Why work for us
At Incommunities we offer jobs with real social purpose. You'll be part of a multi-skilled workforce dedicated to providing great homes, communities and services, all whilst achieving your own goals of developing as a person, colleague and team player too.
We want everyone to feel empowered to bring their best self to work - that's why we provide opportunities to develop and grow, lots of flexibility and great benefits so we can support you in your life and your career.
We know inclusion is not just about considering protected characteristics, such as disability, gender, age or sexuality, it's about embracing the differences of thought, experience and perspectives of everyone and we are working hard to ensure all colleagues feel they belong.
As a Mindful Employer we have committed to working towards better mental health in the workplace and are determined to deliver a culture of physical and mental wellbeing openness and support.
We are an equal opportunity employer but beyond characteristics protected by law, we welcome and value applicants from diverse backgrounds, abilities and perspectives.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.